Monday 2 April 2018

Freud*

I am sure Freud would say
I have some sort of repressed memory
Something that happened
That makes me the way I am,
But what if
I am just the way I am?
Perhaps if I
Make up a reason,
Create a repressed memory,
I’ll have something to blame,
Something to call wrong,
So it will no longer be me
Who is wrong.
If I create a repressed memory
I’ll have somewhere to start.
A place from where
healing can begin.
If Freud is right
Maybe I can be alright

After all.

*I took an introduction to psychology course about ten years ago.  That is all I know about Freud, in other words I am not an expert and have no idea what he would say.  I don't think I have a repressed memory of a dramatic event, but I do at times think it would be nice if there was a reason why I have the struggles I have.  It would be nice to have something to blame so that I don't need to shoulder the blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment